GSF Student Grant
The Global Studies Grant for Student Travel and Study Abroad
Designed to support foreign language training and other academic studies abroad, this grant provides supplemental funds for American students who already are studying abroad under the auspices of an official study abroad program conducted by an accredited academic institution. As with our faculty grants, GSF seeks to support a formative experience abroad for the recipient, who also must share this experience with others upon his or her return – ideally, with multiple audiences and varied media. We are particularly interested in funding the study of strategically important countries and languages (as defined by the US Departments of State and Defense).
Applicants must be US citizens and currently enrolled full-time and in good academic standing in an accredited secondary or postsecondary institution. Among the most significant selection criteria are academic performance (as indicated in courses, grades, recommendations, and other achievements), program merit, and outreach potential. Grant recipients will be expected to acknowledge GSF's support, to report on their experiences, and to work with GSF to share those experiences as widely as possible.
To apply for this grant, please complete our online information form and submit the following materials by July 1:
- A letter of application of no more than two pages that specifies your reasons for traveling, your intended program and schedule, how this particular grant can help you, and how you plan to share your experience with others upon your return;
- A copy of your resume or curriculum vitae;
- A transcript from the schools you have attended, including all post-secondary institutions (unofficial transcripts will suffice for the first round);
- Two letters of recommendation addressing your capacity to make the most of this experience while overseas and when you return, at least one of which must be from a recent academic instructor;
- An official endorsement from your study abroad program or another institutional authority, indicating your travel and study plans, the anticipated dates, and the institution's capacity and willingness to receive and process a grant for this purpose from GSF, which is a 501(c)(3), tax-exempt organization (as grant distributions will be made to the school for subsequent redistribution to the recipient).
All materials should be submitted electronically (either as PDF files or Word documents) to email@example.com.